Skimming / Reskimming

Skimming is a two-coat decorative finish which can be applied to most fairly flat surfaces. This will give a smooth surface ready for d├ęcor. Plastering can involve two finishes. the first (brown) would take out any major bumps and dips in the sub surface ( brick work or wall) this then is scarified (or scored) to which the final finish (skim) is applied. Should you already have plastered walls and they are in reasonable condision, often a finishing ‘skim’ is all you need.

We wanted to remodel our kitchen, and we are planning to strip off the wallpaper on the kitchen walls and ceiling then have them skimmed and plaster the kitchen. What is the difference between skimming and plastering? What’s the best way for you to do this without damaging the kitchen units?

Jason says: It’s simply that one term is more specific than the other. The term “plastering” is often used to mean the same thing, so you could say “my walls need plastering” when they need what the trade call “skimming” but the term “plastering” is more generic so this could mean that more than just a skim is required, for example boarding and skimming or patching up holes “plastering” as opposed to skimming, but in general people just use the two terms to describe the same process.

New build houses often need finishing touches before the homeowners can decorate and style their homes.

Skimming and Plastering Mansfield and Nottingham

We are happy to quote for a single room or an entire house project. Local areas include Alfreton, Arnold, Barlborough, Beeston, Bilsthorpe, Blidworth, Bolsover, Boughton, Brimsley, Carlton, Clowne, Creswell, Eastwood, Edwinstowe, Farnsfield, Hucknall, Kimberley, Mansfield, Mansfield Woodhouse, Kirkby in Ashfield, Sutton in Ashfield, Warsop, Newark-on-Trent, Nottingham, Ollerton, Pilsley, Pinxton, Rainworth, Retford, Selston, Shirebrook, Shirland, South Normanton, Southwell, Stapleford, Tibshelf, Underwood, Warsop, West Bridgford and throughout the East Midlands area.